Monday, January 23, 2012

New on DVD 1/24 - View on Film

Good Tuesday everyone!  A good week for new DVD/Blu Rays.

Just a quick personal viewing I had over the weekend.  Watched Ides of March, Stripes and Aliens.  Ides of March is a very good, adult drama.  I thought it was an insightful look at a big time political campaign.  Highly recommended.  Good to see Stripes and Aliens again.  The Blu Rays for them are fun, and full of goodies!

OK, on to what's new this week.

Real Steel-

I'm a huge fan of Hugh Jackman, but this film worried me.  The combination of an obnoxious kid and Rock'em Sock'em Robots looked like a disaster waiting to happen.  But it turned out OK, with Hugh Jackman's charisma raising the movie on its own.














Reel Steel Original Review- Must be Logged into Facebook to see.





50/50-

Good film with a great performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt.  This movie is more drama than comedy, but it is an entertaining look at a young man facing a battle with cancer.  One funny thing from the film, it's set in "Seattle", but filmed in Vancouver.  If you're familiar with Seattle at all, you'll see laughable attempts to make you think its in the Emerald City.  Good film overall though.












50/50 Original Review- Must be Logged into Facebook to see.



Paranormal Activity 3-

I truly love this series.  I'm not much of a fan of horror in general, but for some reason, I really dig this series.  The scares are heightened by the 'reality' of the setting.  All 3 are great films.















Paranormal Activity 3 Original Review.



From the Sky Down-

Much like the recent Pearl Jam 20 documentary, this one looks back 20 years to the creation of U2's Achtung Baby album.  A fascinating look at how music is created, and how U2 were struggling to find a voice until one music hook brought them back.  For fans of U2, this is a must see!




Have a great week, I'll have a look at Meryl Streep and The Iron Lady on Friday.

Cheers!

Jason

4 comments:

GregCraber said...

I'm going to try Real Steel based on your review, but I'm extremely hesitant. It just feels a little too 80s to me. Previews led me to believe it combines a kid-headed-the-wrong-direction-in-life-but-turned-around-by-unwilling-father-figure story with a big-robots-fighting story.
We'll see.

Jason Valentine said...

Greg, remember Real Steel is not art, but Hugh's star wattage carries the day. Let me know what you think?

Jared said...

Jason,
How many times have you watched the U2 doc :-?

I didn't realize I was old until I saw the PJ doc. Kids, they just don't understand! (shout out Fresh Prince)

Jason Valentine said...

Only twice Jared, bot wow is it good. And yes, we're old! :)